Skincare is my jam. But as much as I love spending hours in Sephora trying out the latest moisturizers and masks I’m also a working mom and who really has the time — or money — for that? And when I consider the damage skin care and beauty products can have on people and the environment — the effects of production, the chemicals used, the usually disposable packaging destined for the landfill — finding alternatives to the commercial industry becomes a priority.
Now don’t get me wrong — I still love Kat Von D and Fenty Beauty. And I haven’t even come close to replacing all my powders and potions with do-it-yourself versions of my own creation but I do make face masks, sugar scrubs, lotions, lip balm, and deodorant — and I love them. I use them all the time.
There’s a satisfaction that comes with making something useful. And dabbling in such practical magic is deliciously addictive. Like, I seriously can’t wait to tackle mineral foundation! And if that’s a success I’ve got my eye on a DIY mascara that could be a game changer. I’ll let you know how it goes!
In the meantime check out three of my favourite Spring DIY skin care recipes, below. And give one a go if you want to try your hand at making your own!
Lemon Lime Sugar Scrub
1/3 cup of virgin coconut oil, melted over low heat
2 cups sugar
20 drops lime essential oil
4 drops lemon essential oil
½ extra virgin olive oil
(Substitute safflower, jojoba, or avocado oil or a mix of varieties)
½ teaspoon green sugar crystals (optional)
· Mix the coconut oil, sugar, essentials oils, and green sugar crystals (if using) in a large bowl
· Add olive oil gradually to desired consistency
· Put in a glass jar, label, enjoy!
Whipped Coconut Body Butter
1 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
A few drops of your favourite essential oil fragrance (I like amber)
· Put ingredients in a mixing bowl (don’t melt the oil first)
· Mix on high-speed for 6–8 minutes or until whipped to an airy consistency
· Spoon the whipped body butter into a glass container and cover tightly.
· Store at room temperature, or in the fridge.
Honey Coconut Lip Balm
3 tablespoons coconut oil
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon beeswax* (grated or in bead form)
Makes 6–7 ½ oz containers
· Use a small saucepan on low-medium heat and combine coconut oil, honey, and beeswax.
· Stir until melted and combined, usually 5–7 minutes.
· Stir (vigorously) another 3–4 minutes on low-medium heat. it’s important to heat and stir until combined to avoid separation during cooling.
· Remove from heat and spoon into containers. Let cool. Label. Use.
- I get my beeswax from Sapphire Blue, but Amazon and The Honey Bee Store are good options too if you can’t find it locally
Robyn McNeil is a Nova Scotia-based freelance writer, bartender, and assistant editor of the Whole Family Happiness Project. She lives in Halifax, with her son and a penchant for really strong tea, yoga, hammocks, and hoppy beer.
Did you like this post? Leave some claps or a comment to let us know!
The Whole Family Happiness Project is a group of moms exploring our connection to our individual purpose, our family happiness, and the happiness of the world around us. Come join us on Facebook.